Sunday, September 05, 2004

Rebuttal to the hate mail I've recv'd

This is a rant specifically targeted to certain people, regarding emails I’ve recv’d about my blog entry entitled "3 of My Biggest Fitness Peeves". I’m going to attempt to stay objective and explain and not get personal (though some of my readers weren’t objective when they took offense to the above mentioned blog entry). First of all, the blog is how "I feel" about certain aspects of fitness. I wasn’t trying to convince anyone of anything, or belittle anyone. I often get those questions, and I addressed them how I normally answer those questions. Period. End of story (blog)! Secondly… Contrary to apparent popular belief, I work hard for what I got. It’s not superior genetics, and it’s certainly not easy. The difference between me and the collective you who got a little testy about my 1st fitness blog is a single aspect: Motivation. HUGELY UNDER-RATED!!! I hear it all the time, "I want to lose weight, it’s just so hard to stay on a program / find the time / it’s so expensive / etc, etc, etc…." People can always find an excuse not to do something or a reason to quit something they’ve started. They’ve got the right idea (live more healthily), just not the right mind-set (finding excuses ‘to not do’, instead of looking for reasons ‘to do’) . Let’s take my fictional example of Ben. Mid-twenties, doughy, fun-loving Ben. He had this idea. The idea was to lose weight, to be more healthy. Great idea, right? Now how is Ben going to do that? Exercise. Outstanding Ben, you’re on your way! He’s hitting the gym, eating a little better… But wait… It’s 4 weeks later, and now Ben’s not spending too much time in the gym. Now it’s 6 weeks later, and it’s been a week since Ben’s been to the gym. Now it’s 10 weeks later, and Ben has this great idea… "I need to lose weight, maybe start up at the gym again, you know? Get all buff." Sound at all familiar? My advice to Ben would be this: Find your motivation. How ‘actor’ of me, right? I’m serious, though. "I wanna exercise, and lose weight" is not a motivation. It’s a means and an end. Living a healthy lifestlye is easy. SWITCHING to a healthy lifestyle is what’s hard, and that’s why your motivation has to be personal. It’s your ‘WHY?’ "I want to be more healthy / buff / or whatever." WHY? "To live longer.". WHY? "Because I enjoy life." WHY? WHY? WHY? Get specific, change it up, make it short-term, make it long-term, just do it. Find out what makes you tick, and use it. It’s very hard in the beginning, but once exercise/nutrition is a regular part of your lifestyle, so will your motivations. They will be programmed, ingrained inside of you, ever-changing, and keeping you going. Read about some of the motivations I’ve used in the past, then read what my ultimate goals are. They’re not really related, but they’re my ‘WHY?’. I wasn’t very noticeable (to the ladies) at 5’7" tall, so I had to make myself noticeable. Then I got to the point where girls would ask me to flex (kinda makes a guy feel good). Then I got lazy. I started noticing that not too many girls had the request anymore. I used that lack of attention to up my intensity. Then I met my wife-to-be. She loved my body, so I used that as my motivation to stay in the gym. Then we had our daughter followed by birthday parties and such. These included pool parties, and there were fathers there who (I thought) should’ve left their shirts on, and there were other fathers who kept their shirts on because they were embarrassed. I never want to be one of those guys, so that was my motivation (that, plus the ego-boost I got from comments made to Jenn from the other mothers). Now my baby girl is 7 years old. I’ve noticed that high school and middle school boys are like 10 feet tall nowadays. Looking down at the 5’7" father of the beautiful girl (my daughter) they want to date… I don’t make for much of an intimidating figure. ON THE OTHER HAND…The 5’7", 185lbs, ‘tazmanian devil-like ball of fury’ will not be one to be reckoned with. These might totally sound like self-indulgent, shallow reasons. Oh well. Those of you who know me know I’m not as egotistical as all of this, but these are the thoughts that keep me on course. Now my ultimate goals: 1) While my kids are young, I’d like to be able to keep up with them without losing my breath; 2) When they’re all out of the house, I want to have the energy to take my wife dancing, or take a vacation to Europe and have the energy to shop/sightsee all day with my wife and still have enough in the tank for a show in London and drinks afterward. I’d be crazy to think that the idea of a trip to England 20 years from now would keep me in a ‘health and fitness’ mindset day in and day out. But when hindsight is 20/20 two decades from now while I’m enjoying drinks with my wife in London after a show, I’ll sure as hell appreciate the fact that I stayed motivated throughout. There you are. That’s the "secret" of how I find the time with a job and three kids. That’s why I consider a gym membership an investment for the future. That’s why, to put it your way (you know who you are) it’s so "easy" for me. I hope you can find your ‘WHY?’ (and stop being bitter for those of us that have it). BTW… Those of you who couldn’t care less about fitness, this is not addressed to you. You probably have other personal priorities and ‘WHY?’s of your own. In which case, you’re probably rightfully comfortable in your own skin, and haven’t taken offense to this or my prior ‘fitness’ entry.

17 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would write something, but I dont have the motivation to chew your ass!!! Just kidding. Those who complain about what others are "lucky" or "easy" enough to have are just jealous. They ought to get their fat asses off the couch and do whatever makes them happy about themselves. If you enjoy being fat, then stand tall, head up and have fun!!! If you do not enjoy being fat then get up, get moving and lose the weight. You cannot blame anyone but yourself!!!

8:33 PM  
Blogger Kennedy said...

Really are you serious...how about all these twinkie supportn', Atkins worshipers post a comment instead of send email. I would be more than happy to chew some fat off that ass and use towards my squattn' leg pressn, hamstring puilling hard ass workout...I could use the extra calories!!

Obese, all hell, fat people are the result of their own gluttony!! I just LOVE the ones that claim glandulor problems, but lets be honest in reality only 5% of obese people actually suffer from this, it really comes down to 2 things:

1. You like to be fat
*For those that like to be fat, go with it.

2. You have no motivation/will-power to change.
*You are a closet fat person with excuses, refer to#1

Unlike my polite bro, I hope to have offended many, l8 :)

7:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm..Where are all the closet haters now?? Come on, speak up fatties!! You know-you can post anonomously here.

6:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been inspired. I am ready to lose the weight. Thank you for inspiring me!! Work it, work it, work it.

6:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been inspired. I am ready to lose the weight. Thank you for inspiring me!! Work it, work it, work it.

6:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm fat because I'm lazy...end of story.

9:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I second the lazy comment.

9:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm fat, but I know I could kick your ass...loser

7:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

...then I'd kick your brother's ass

7:21 PM  
Blogger Mikol said...

First of all, he's my brother-in-law. Secondly... You're so confident in your abilities to kick my and my brother-in-law's asses that you post anonymously? Okay tough guy.

8:40 AM  
Blogger Mikol said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This should be interesting. A fat guy trying to kick someone's ass!! Especially since the two he's threatening work out. I would like to see this. When do the tickets go on sale?? Watch it wiggle, see it jiggle...

11:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what do you have against fat people? I'm fat and black...do you hate blacks to? I will kick your mutha fucking ass.

8:19 AM  
Blogger Mikol said...

Are you taliking to me or my brother-in-law? If you're talking to me, then which part of "if you couldn't care less about fitness, this is not addressed to you" do you not understand? I clearly stated that this was addressed to people who are unhappy with themselves but always seem to have excuses. I have a problem with people thinking that I've got it easy when it comes to staying in shape. I have a problem with grown people telling me they can't (I don't accept that from my 7 year old, so why should I accept it from a 27 year old?). I have a problem with people trying to validate their excuses to me. I have no problems with people who are fat, skinny, short, tall, young, old, black, white, asian, or whatever... As long as people come correct and come real, then I have no problems. Just don't tell me you want to make a difference, then turn around and tell me why you can't. That's straight-up bullshit, and I don't want to hear it. As far as you kicking my ass... 1.) I've never lost a fight. 2.) I have no fear of losing a fight as long as I cause pain. My satisfaction from fighting comes from knowing I've caused pain. BIG PAIN. It doesn't come from winning. There you are. If you still feel the need to whoop my ass, then go for it. You're gonna feel it in the morning, though, I guarantee. Now if your comment was addressed to my brother-in-law... That's 200+ pounds of muscle you're going to have to deal with. Oh did I not mention that? My brother-in-law is in the military, trained to protect our country, AND is a tatted-up bodybuilder. That's just in case you didn't know.

8:30 AM  
Blogger Kennedy said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1:12 PM  
Blogger Kennedy said...

Who is this ass-clown?! ....im black, now you hate black people...how you know I am not black? Point is you have no idea. So to stop eating for five minutes just to type that ignorant shit was a waste of calories brotha. I tell ya what I will take your challenge of confratation, but first I want you to consider some things: 1. I will not allow food in the fighting area (can cause undue infections) 2. Portable oxygen machines are not allowed 3. I can work in a 5 minute rule for the possible ice cream truck drive by

See here it is, train hard and feel better about yourself so that you dont have assholes like me calling you on your lazy insecurity. Peace

1:17 PM  
Blogger Kizzume said...

I enjoy being fat. I'm not extremely fat, at least not right now (5'8" 215#). I used to be rail thin (120#). If I wanted to change myself, I know exactly what I would need to do, but I don't because I enjoy being fat--and you won't ever catch me complaining about it.

I had to teach myself to eat more in order to gain weight--it actually took a lot of work. Anything a person can do that--for themselves--is worth doing is going to take work. This also applies to things a person can do to/with themselves for others, but to me, someone changing themselves soley for someone else, especially if it's different than what that person actually wants to be for themsleves, is a waste of time, hard work, and willpower: people/friends/couples should like each other for who they are, not who they're trying to be for the other person or society at large.

If people want to make a change in themselves in ANYTHING they have nobody but themselves to blame for not making that change.

I'm sure I'll probably cut 5-10 years off my life by living the way I do, but hey, we're all gonna die sometime, and I'd rather enjoy the time I'm here than spend a bunch of time in a gym and eating horrible-tasting food (and lots of synthetic low-calorie chemical food additives) in an attempt to look like something that turns me off anyway.

10:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home