Friday, June 25, 2004

Good Ol' Days?

Gen Xers… We’re from a better time, aren’t we? I remember the sweet smell of Marlboro as I walked past the teacher’s lounge of my elementary school. Smoking was a lot more socially acceptable in those, the better days. I remember having to actually get up to change the channel. Remember that? The big ass cable box with the “A/B” switch and the 30 buttons to net you 60 (YES, I said 60) channels. One of those was the original MTV, and it actually showed music videos. Speaking of which… Who remembers Adam Curry? “HeadBangers Ball” ringing any bells? THAT was cool hair! I remember the rise and fall of Andrew “Dice” Clay and ‘The Arsenio Hall Show’. I remember when Brenda and Brandon first got to Beverly Hills from Minnesota… Good times. I wanted to be the 6-Million Dollar Man when I grew up (I’m far from that goal. Last look in the account I had $410, half of which is technically Jenn’s, so I’m, like, the $205 Man with checks still pending). We’re from a time that there was “no need to argue, parents just didn’t understand”. Don’t get me started on Garbage Pail Kids. Back then the Nintendo controller only had 2 buttons and a direction controller (of course our only choices were ‘Super Mario Bros.’ and ‘Donkey Kong’), but it was still a helluva lot more complicated than my Atari controller w/ the single ‘fire’ button. We saw the advent of CareBears, RainBow Brite, Fraggle Rock, and StrawBerry ShortCake. Who can forget ThunderCats and the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles? The Culture Club had some hits, Frankie Goes to Hollywood… That was real music. Motley Crue, Scorpion, and AC/DC were labeled as “satanic” by our parents. I’d like to see the looks on their faces now, “Mom, I’d like you to meet Vince Neil, and this is his contemporary MARILYN MANSON!!!” The only computer language was “BASIC”, and I used it to write code to my COMMODORE 64. I could make this little dot diver “swim” across the TV screen (we didn’t actually have monitors). Hell yeah!!! And once I installed ‘PRINT SHOP’ from that hardcore floppy disk, I could do all sorts of stuff on my black-ink, dot matrix printer. In this, the day of “high-speed” instant gratification, I have one thing to say… Polaroid! Yep a better time… a better time, indeed.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

dude, you forgot Debbie Gipson,gangsta rap,laser tag,and a bunch of other stuff.

2:31 PM  
Blogger Mikol said...

Just so happens I'm online!!! I didn't forget. Unfortunately, GENERATION X spans a coupla-few years, and I'm not writing a book, just a blog. This is, however, what the 'comments' section is for. Please... wear your Gen-X heart on your sleeve and preach on, brutha (or sistah)!

2:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those days are long gone. Now our days consist of unpaid bills all stacked up on the table, kids running & screaming through the house, crusty boogers & breakfast on their faces. Dried spit up all down my shirt, yelling at one to " STOP TOUCHING YOUR SISTER DAMIT!!". Dinner burning in the microwave ( yes I do this often..)does not matter anyways, my husband will be home late again. I can hear Dr. Phil in the background....." Your Fat because all you do is sit around & eat all day, it has nothing to do with your matabolism." God I love that man.......Yes I do miss the good ol days, sitting around eating push pops & reading my Sweet Vally High books, ( I wonder what those twins are up to now, my guess is their matabolism slowed down rendering them FAT!!) I do also remember making out on the couch while watching Head Bangers Ball... Nobody tight rolled better then you Mike. Hey was that you that beat the crap out of Matt in 5th grade?

12:12 PM  
Blogger Mikol said...

Matt? Matt Lucero? No... I did, however, threaten Kirk (Prithcen?) with a basball bat, and I think that was in the 5th grade. Oh yeah... I'm hardcore! Don't act like you didn't know. Better ax somebody!

2:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved headbangers ball. Remember the first Metallica Video for One?? Used to love watching it at the lock-in too. Want some gum? Sike!!! Gosh, we were wicked cool in those days with no cares in the world. Hell, we didnt even have to worry about being snatched up in our own back yards. You could go outside all day and your parents didn't worry. Now we are all just a bunch of fat lazy bums with fat lazy kids...Good times...

8:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Its time to unroll those "tight rolled" pants, put the parachute pants back in the old garbage bug you found at your parents house. I can't believe you mention Culture Club, and HeadBangers Ball in the same rant...dude, Culture Club? C'mon! Why do you remember Adam Curry, I remember Martha Quinn...hmmm...Culture Club, Adam Curry...things are looking pretty clear...Not that there is anything wrong with that (thanks Sienfeld). Yep Mikol the good ol' days are over...now these damn kids are driving too fast, there's something wrong with the volume on the the plasma screen tv, (I've got to have the volume turned way up), why is it so cold in here...what channel is Donahue on?

8:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hear ya! We didn't have cool toys growing up, just a "Sit 'N' Spin"...mine was blue. Barbie had a Good Times Van and now she has a Hummer. I remember Headbangers Ball too....Warrant was the band of choice to me. My fiirst real kiss was when Mauricio from down the street road his Huffy to my house and we were listening to "Heaven isn't too far Away". I also had a certain little somethin' somethin' for Skid Row. Who wants to Couple Skate?

7:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi - I was doing a search for blogs that were fitness related to Dallas. I came across yours and found it interesting. I'm definitely going to bookmark it. I have a Dallas Self Defense School if you want to have a look at it.

6:52 AM  
Blogger Plasma TElevision Center said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a Plasma Television site/blog. It pretty much covers Plasma Television related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

5:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home