Tuesday, June 22, 2004

3 of My Biggest Fitness Peeves...

This is both a preemptive response to anyone thinking of asking me about the following and responses to anyone who already has. I hope this clarifies my stance on some things.
1. “I just want to lose 10-15 lbs. Do you think I can do that in 4 weeks?” -- Yes you can. Will it be in a healthy and lasting fashion? No. First of all, a person can fluctuate 3-5 lbs. day to day in water weight alone. Secondly, let’s say, for example, a 140 pound woman asked me that question. She’s basically asked if I think she can lose 7%-11% of her total bodyweight in 4 weeks! Crazy I tells ya! Now my favorite “comeback” for someone who’s asked me the above weight loss question: “How long did it take you to add this 10-15 lbs.?” If you tell me you’ve slowly accumulated it over the past few years, then I have a follow-up question: “ Do you honestly believe you can undo 2-3 years of (for lack of a better term) neglect in 4 months, much less 4 weeks?”
2. “What do you think of the Atkins Diet?” -- To put it bluntly, I don’t think of the Atkins Diet or any other diet for that matter. I don’t like the word ‘diet’ period. People say ‘diet and exercise’ a lot. I prefer ‘exercise and nutrition’. The word ‘diet’ has what I call a “deprivation connotation”. Basically insinuating that you have to deprive yourself of certain things to achieve your goals. Nutrition, on the other hand, indicates nourishment, fuel for your exercise and for your daily activities. Back to the original question… Atkins Diet? Ask every active and lean individual I know if they’re on Atkins, and each one will tell you that carbohydrates are his/her primary source of energy. In a word “NO!” I do, however, know people who have lost weight on Atkins, but they’re not what I’d call lean. They are smaller, but their shape and composition look the same to me.
3. “I tried losing/gaining weight, but it’s just not in my genetics.” -- You’re right. If you are inherently lazy you wll never reach your fitness goals. Honestly. I am 5’7”, but I can grab a 10’ basketball rim. Am I genetically gifted? I must be. I have a friend who is 6’4” who can’t touch the rim, so it must not be in his genetic make up, right? Seriously, barring glandular problems and the like, the only genetic limitations are the shapes of your muscle bellies and where on your body fat is prone to end up. As long as you’re paying attention to exercise and nutrition, you don’t have to worry about where your fat is prone to end up.
Think logically about your goals, keep it simple, and have patience. Think of fitness like you would a retirement account. The sooner you start, the better off you are in the long run, plus you’ll have more leeway during the process.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I weigh 900 lbs. and I have to say, that reading your Blog inspired me. After finishing it, I pushed my desk away from my belly, dropped one of the spicy chiken breasts from my hand and immediately tried to haul my ass to the track. First, I tried to put on my shoes. I haven't even tried to do that for the last three years. Thank you, your words were like wind beneath my original recipe wings. In the process of trying to shoe my hooves, I believe I did what's called loosing my balance. Thank you again, it's the first thing I've lost since the last time I took my shoes off. Needless to say, I fell over. At first I tried to get off the floor, but lets face it, if I could leg press 900 lbs, it wouldn't be 5 years since I last saw my willy. Also, I started getting an uncomfortable pain in my chest which I diagnosed as a lask of omega3, you know, the good fat. So I called my next door neighbor, and asked them if they would bring over some Long John Silvers. I love the little crunchy things. I decided it best for me to just lie still until I can get some fried fish in me. But as soon as I finish the hush puppies, I'm hitting the track. Shoes or no. Thank you again.

10:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! Nice filibuster Richard Simmons. I hear what your saying and I think most of the world understands your point, but we are a society that wants results now. That's why I will opt for "Extreme Makeover" or "The Swan" thank you very much.

To the 900 lb guy.... Your comments were genious....

4:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why lose weight now? Haven't you heard, the majority of us are fat, er, obese, er overweight, er whatever. I will prefer to stay in the majority, for once, for I have lived too far too long in the minority. Good luck you skinnies!

8:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you're right on track and not many people are willing to admit that they share your views. in lost space is an AWESOME place to discuss LOST.

6:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi - I was doing a search for blogs that were fitness related to Dallas. I came across yours and found it interesting. I'm definitely going to bookmark it. I have a Dallas Self Defense School if you want to have a look at it.

5:18 AM  
Blogger fitnessfacts said...

You have a great blog here! Your blog looks really nice

I have a american health management services
site. It pretty much covers american health management services
information related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

6:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home